Monday, April 13, 2009

Quiz #1 Results

Quiz #1 is graded and the average turned out to be a 52% (15.6 out of 30). To say I am disappointed is an understatement. The performance on this quiz is reminiscent of Roger Dorn trying to field a ground ball and I feel like Coach Lou Brown convincing him not to give him a half ass effort or any of this "Oley Bullshit."

Remember that to succeed in this course you have to complete and more importantly UNDERSTAND the homework problems. Know the concepts behind them and know what is going on if I change something in a particular problem. 37 students out of 147 (roughly 25%) got a grade of 10/30 or lower. I do not want to sound like a prick, but to me this cannot continue. Question #3 on the quiz was right from the homework set. You need to know how to do the homework problems. Mike Singletary put it best in the 55 second mark of this clip when he said: "I want winners! I want people who want to win!" Likewise, I want students who want to learn. I want students who want to do homework problems. I don't want to have to nag you to do them. That is why you are in college. To learn.

Quiz #2 was written last Friday before the scores were out and in my mind it is harder than the first one. You need to be sure you have completed problems 31-59 from the Solubility homework set, as well as problems 6-10 from the Experiment #25 homework set. If you have a firm grasp on the material asked in those questions you will be in great shape for the quiz.

It is a privilege to be part of The Ohio State University and here in the chemistry department we hold a high standard of excellence. I will do anything I can to help you achieve success in this class, but you also have to work hard on your own. Come with the homework problems worked out in office hours and we can discuss the concepts behind each problem. If you have a conflict with office hours shoot me an e-mail and we can come up with another time to meet.

Let me know what I can do for you to succeed in this class. If you have any other questions let me know. Thanks, Dr. Fus

No comments:

Post a Comment