Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lectures #23 and #24 Wed, May 20th and Fri, May 22nd

May 20th is my sister's birthday. So a special shout out to my sister Anita and a Happy 26th Birthday :) I wish I lived closer to home so I could get to see you more.

I started the introduction of electrochemistry by outlining the two processes we will be using in Exp #28 and Exp #29. They are the generation of an electric current from a chemical reaction and the use of an electric current to produce a chemical change. The first is referred to as a galvanic or voltaic process and occurs spontaneously. The second is an electrolytic process and is not spontaneous. We will investigate voltaic cells in Exp #28 and electrolytic cells in Exp #29.

We then discussed cell potential and talked about how everything is standardized to the hydrogen electrode. We talked about oxidation/reduction (redox) reactions and how to describe a galvanic cell. We went through several examples of these cells and be sure you know how to analyze them as they will come up in the final as well as Exp #28 and #29.

No comments:

Post a Comment