Friday, October 9, 2009

Office Hours

I received an e-mail about office hours today and the particular student wanted to know if they need to make an appointment in order to drop by. Office hours have not been attended very well this quarter and I want to be sure that it is known that I will be in my office on Mon and Wed from 4:30 pm - 6:30 pm solely to answer questions from the homework sets and work on any additional problems you have.

Coming to office hours is an incredible resource and I feel that most 121 students (from this quarter and in past quarters) don't take advantage of them. I asked some former students who never came to office hours in 121, but were always there in 123 why students don't come and the response I get is something like this:

Well, I never really knew how to study and didn't work hard enough at the beginning of 121 then kinda fell behind.

or

I was too scared to come and was nervous talking to you, but after I got to know you and how you interact with students thought that was silly.

Please try to pop by to office hours at least once during the quarter. Show me what you have been working on and I can help you improve on your study habits.

In my mind office hours are much more enjoyable when I have plenty of students working on problems. So please try to stop by :)

No comments:

Post a Comment